Varentsova Larisa Yuryevna, Candidate of historical sciences, associate professor, sub-department of theory and history of state and law, Nizhny Novgorod Academy of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Russian Federation (3 Ankudinovskoe highway, Nizhny Novgorod, Russia), firstname.lastname@example.org
Background. The Palace (domenella) property is one of the main forms of feudal property in Russia in the second half of the XVII century. During this period, the palace economy played a special role in the economy of the country. The entrepreneurial activity was developing intensively in the palatial estates and much of the production was intended for export. The sovereign tithe arable land, distillation, stables and various factories were instituted in many villages. Massive amounts of royal fields were in charge of the Order of Secret Affairs. In the historical literature there are no specific studies on the soverign´ s tithe arable lands as one of the major components of the palace economy. The purpose of this article is to consider the work of peasants, administered by the Department of Secret affairs at Imperial fields, as a kind of their feudal duties.
Materials and methods. The author used the works of famous prerevolutionary historians I. E. Zabelin, A. I. Zaozersky, the researchers of the Soviet and post-Soviet period Y. Gauthier, A. A. Novosielski, Y. A. Tikhonov, V. I. Buganov. The source base also included the memories of the Tsar Alexei Mikhailovich’s contemporary G. K. Kotoschihin, the documents of written proceedings, in particular, the cases of the Order of Secret Affairs. The principles of historicisms and scientific objectivity formed the methodological basis of the work.
Results. The researcher explored main centers of palatial estates that used to have the emperor’s tithe arable lands in the second half of the seventeenth century. A speial attention was paid to execution of duties by peasants regarding processing the sovereign tithe’s bread on the Royal distillery, to its supply from palatial cities, villages and town by ships to the capital.
Conclusions. The Order of Secret Affairs conducted a huge amount of work on spreading the sovereign tithe arable land and on attraction of the palace peasants to work on the Royal fields.
1. Novosel'skiy A. A. Ocherki istorii SSSR: period feodalizma, XVII vek [Essays on USSR history: the feudal period, XVII century]. Moscow: Izd-vo AN SSSR, 1955.
2. Varentsova L. Yu. Voprosy istorii [Problems of history]. 2014, no. 5.
3. Kotoshikhin G. K. O Rossii v tsarstvovanie Alekseya Mikhaylovicha [Russia during the reign of Alexei Mikhailovich]. Moscow: ROSSPEN, 2000.
4. Zaozerskiy A. I. Tsarskaya votchina XVII veka. Iz istorii khozyaystvennoy i prikaznoy politiki tsarya Alekseya Mikhaylovicha [Sovereign land in XVII century. From history of economic and order policy of Tsar Alexei Mikhailovich]. Moscow: Gos. sots.-ekon. izd-vo, 1937.
5. Tikhonov Yu. A. Dvoryanstvo i krepostnoy stroy Rossii XVI–XVIII vv.: sb. st., posvyashch. pamyati A. A. Novosel'skogo [Nobility and serfdom in Russia in XVI–XVIII centuries: collected articles in memoriam of A. A. Novoselsky]. Moscow: Nauka, 1975.
6. Got'e Yu. Zamoskovnyy kray v XVII veke. Opyt issledovaniya po istorii ekonomicheskogo byta Moskovskoy Rusi [North-East Eussia in XVII century. Research experience on the history of economic life of Moscow Rus]. Moscow: Gos. sots.-ekon. izd-vo, 1937.
7. Russkaya istoricheskaya biblioteka, izdavaemaya Imperatorskoy Arkheograficheskoy komissiey [Russian historical library, established by the Emperor’s Archeological Commission]. Saint-Petersburg, 1907, vol. 21,bk.1.
8. Zabelin I. E. Domashniy byt russkikh tsarey v XVI i XVII stoletiyakh [Domestic life of Russian Tsars in XVI and XVII centuries]. Moscow: Tovarishchestvo skoropechatnika A. A. Levinson, 1918, part 1.
9. Zaozerskiy A. I. Tsar' Aleksey Mikhaylovich v svoem khozyaystve [Tsar Alexei Mikhailovich in his dominion]. Petrograd: Tipografiya «Nauchnoe delo», 1917.
10. Buganov V. I., Preobrazhenskiy A. A., Tikhonov Yu. A. Evolyutsiya feodalizma v Rossii. Sotsial'no-ekonomicheskie problemy [Evolution of feudalism in Russia. Socioeconomic problems]. Moscow: Mysl', 1980.
11. Sovetskaya istoricheskaya entsiklopediya [The Soviet historical encyclopedia]. Ed. by V. M. Zhidkov. Moscow: Sovetskaya entsiklopediya, 1964, vol. 5.
12. Russkaya istoricheskaya biblioteka, izdavaemaya Imperatorskoy Arkheograficheskoy komissiey [Russian historical library, established by the Emperor’s Archeological Commission]. Saint-Petersburg, 1907, vol. 21,bk.1.
13. Russkaya istoricheskaya biblioteka, izdavaemaya Imperatorskoy Arkheograficheskoy komissiey [Russian historical library, established by the Emperor’s Archeological Commission]. Saint-Petersburg, 1904, vol. 23,bk.3.